USPS Ground Advantage
Packages in 2–5 Business Days1
USPS Ground Advantage™ service is an affordable and reliable way to send packages inside the U.S.
- Ship to all 50 states, U.S. military bases, territories, possessions, and Freely Associated States.
- Primary option for sending hazardous materials (HAZMAT) that can’t go by air.
- Prices start at just $4.75 at a Post Office™ location. (Ship online with enhanced Click-N-Ship® service and get lower Commercial Rates. Businesses can get additional savings by opting in to the Business Rate Card.)
Ground Advantage for Business
For businesses interested in getting commercial pricing for USPS Ground Advantage, using USPS Ground Advantage Return to manage customer returns, or learning other ways USPS can power up your shipping and logistics, learn more about business options, or if you’re ready now, get in touch with a USPS® specialist.
Ground Advantage packages are delivered in 2-5 business days1 and USPS Tracking® service is included in the price. See more details on service features, ways to pay for and print postage, and other benefits below.
- Our best-priced service for items up to 15.999 oz, based on weight (rounded up to 4 oz, 8 oz, 12 oz, and 15.999 oz) and zone (distance).
- Packages greater than 15.999 oz are charged by the pound up to 70 lbs (rounded up).
- Pay for postage using stamps, a self-service kiosk, Click-N-Ship, or at a Post Office.
- Includes forwarding, undeliverable as addressed (UAA), and return to sender (RTS) at no additional cost.
- USPS Label Delivery service: Even if you don't have a printer, you can still ship online using enhanced Click-N-Ship® service—for an extra $1.25 per label, we'll print an outbound label and deliver it to you.
- Free Package Pickup2 at your home or office.
- $100 insurance is included (for both outbound and return shipments), and you can purchase up to $5,000 in additional coverage against loss or damage for merchandise.
- Primary option for sending hazardous materials (HAZMAT) that are only mailable using Ground Transportation.
Weight, Size, & Shape Requirements
Learn more about the Ground Advantage pricing tiers that are based on the weight, size, and shape of your package. You’ll pay for your package based on how much it weighs and how far it’s going (the zone). Also, you’ll need to use your own packaging and measure it to make sure it meets the size standards.Expand All
You’ll need to pay the Ground Advantage price if you have a large First-Class Mail envelope that is:
- Rigid (can't bend)
- Non-rectangular (square, or taller than it is wide)
- Not uniformly thick (lumpy)
- Longer than 11 and 1/2", higher than 6 and 1/8”, or thicker than 1/4".
- Price tiers are: up to 4 oz; up to 8 oz; up to 12 oz; and up to 15.999 oz. Round up to the nearest tier: For example, if your package weighs 4.2 oz, you’ll pay the 8-oz price.
- Items over 15.999 oz round up to 1 lb and pay pound-rate prices.
- Maximum weight is 70 lbs.
- For items over 15.999 oz (which rounds up to 1 lb), rates are by the pound (lb), rounded up. For example, if your package weighs 8.3 lb, you will pay the 9-lb price.
- Maximum combined length and girth (girth is the distance around the thickest part) is 130 inches. Tips for Measuring Packages
Additional Package Fees
Double-check your package measurements: You’ll pay additional fees if you’re shipping a large, lightweight package or a nonstandard size. See below for more details.
TIP: Use the USPS® Price Calculator tool to calculate your domestic postage costs. You'll need to know your package’s weight, shape, and size measurements.Expand All
Dimensional (DIM) weight rates apply to large, lightweight packages. If your package is larger than 1 cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches):
- Multiply Length x Width x Height and divide by 166 to get the DIM weight in pounds.
- If the DIM weight is greater than the actual package weight, you’ll need to pay the DIM weight price.
If you omit or give inaccurate dimensions and/or don’t pay the DIM weight rate (when it applies), you’ll pay a dimension-noncompliance fee.
You’ll pay an extra fee for sending a nonstandard size. Fees vary based on the length and cubic feet:
If your package is:
- Between 22 and 30 inches long: add $4.00
- More than 30 inches long: add $7.00
- More than 2 cubic feet (3,456 cubic inches): add $15.00
Additional InformationExpand All
There are specific regulations and standards for mailing restricted, prohibited, and hazardous materials, including cigarettes and smokeless tobacco.
Domestically Restricted & Prohibited Items
Learn more about what items you may and may not mail within the U.S.
You'll pay domestic prices for packages shipped to a Military Post Office (APO/FPO/DPO), but these destinations require a customs form and have specific restrictions.
Military & Diplomatic Mail
Learn more about how to send mail and packages to loved ones overseas.
USPS understands what's most important to our business customers: speed, affordability, security, and customer service. We help businesses provide these services and resources to your customers at discounted rates.
Note for Business Mailers: Effective November 1, 2023, mailers must include a valid, unique 3-digit Service Type Code that accurately represents the mail class, product, and service combination on the physical label affixed to the package for mailing. Mailers will be subject to a noncompliance fee of $0.25 per label if noncompliance falls beneath the 98 percent barcode quality threshold. For more information, refer to DMM section 188.8.131.52.
Get discounted rates on business shipping with a few options:
- Use enhanced Click-N-Ship® service to get lower Commercial Rates. (Plus, businesses can get additional savings on select services by opting in to the Business Rate Card.)
- A Negotiated Service Agreement (NSA) is available for larger volume shippers who meet the minimum volume requirements.
Returns for Businesses
You can use USPS Ground Advantage Return as a convenient option for customers who need to send items back. Both outbound and returns include $100 insurance.
Ground Advantage Cubic
If you ship a large volume of small, heavy items, you can get cubic prices that are based on the package size and distance it’s going instead of its weight.
USPS Label Delivery
Save on label printing costs; we can print and deliver the label to you for a $1.25 fee (per label). You can also request return labels for your customers. Available through enhanced Click-N-Ship service and USPS Web Tools® APIs.
Ready to take advantage of these business options? Get in touch today.
1. For mailable items up to 70 lbs. Expected delivery in 2–5 business days. Packages going to certain places (including Alaska, Hawaii, and offshore destinations), or containing hazardous materials or live animals may receive slower service. Back ^
2. For details on free Package Pickup, visit usps.com/pickup. Back ^